Friday, June 19, 2009

Welcome to My Blog!

This blog has been created for my summer class, LIS 855, Managing Digital Resources. I spent some time yesterday trying to come up with a creative title for this blog, but as you can see, it simply bears the generic title of Fan Fiction. This is mainly because I really don't know anything about the topic of fan fiction beyond its definition. Frankly, I didn't even know it existed until I started exploring the list of possible topics suitable for this project. The idea intrigues me, and I am excited to explore it in detail.

So, what exactly is fan fiction? According to Wikipedia, it's a "broadly-defined term used to describe stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work' owner, creator, or publisher; also they are almost never professionally published".

I am hoping to learn more about the following aspects of fan fiction: history and origins; types and genres; fair use and copyright issues; legal cases; and what the future may hold for these authors and their creations.

During the next three whirlwind weeks, I invite any comments, suggestions, or attempts to steer me in right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment